Tuesday, February 3, 2009

NOT FADE AWAY: REMEMBERING BUDDY HOLLY

Fifty years ago today, on February 3, 1959, the great Buddy Holly died in a plane crash over Clear Lake, Iowa. On the plane with Buddy was J.P. Richardson, aka The Big Bopper,and Ritchie Valens, who fipped a coin with Tommy Allsup for final seat. That day the Beechcraft Bonanza went down in a snowstorm had been called "The Day the Music Died." No one survived the crash.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

Holly inspired countless musicians. John Lennon told Allison, drummer for the Crickets and Holly's best friend, "There would not even have ever been a Beatles had it not been for the Crickets."

A young Bob Dylan met Buddy Holly when he attended the January 31, 1959 show, two nights before Holly's death. Dylan referred to this in his 1998 Grammy acceptance speech for his 1997 Time Out of Mind winning Album of the Year:

"And I just want to say that when I was sixteen or seventeen years old, I went to see Buddy Holly play at Duluth National Guard Armory and I was three feet away from him...and he LOOKED at me. And I just have some sort of feeling that he was - I don't know how or why - but I know he was with us all the time we were making this record in some kind of way.''

Here is an excellent compilation of Buddy Holly clips:

No comments: