Monday, December 3, 2007

NESSUN DORMA

Opera. Overly sentimental, overwrought, stuffy, snobby. Maybe that's true, but it can also kick ass. I mean, provide a powerful and moving experience. I've enjoyed several operas with my girlfriend Wendy, who is a big fan, and I admit at first I attended somewhat reluctantly.
Here on the blog, we've posted everything from punk to jazz, Django to the Ronettes, Jimmy Durante to Electric 6, but this is the first opera, and if you hate the stuff I apologize, but I beg you to listen. I've picked Luciano Pavarotti singing "Nessun Dorma", the famous tenor aria from Puccini's Turandot. Below is a translation from the Italian, so you can sing along. One of the great moments of opera comes when the prince sings the final "Vincero!" I shall win! I dare you not to be moved.

The Prince
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
Il nome mio nessun saprà, no, no,
Sulla tua bocca lo dirò
Quando la luce splenderà,
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
Che ti fa mia.
But my secret is hidden within me;
My name no one shall know, no, no,
On your mouth I will speak it
When the light shines,
And my kiss will dissolve the silence
That makes you mine.
Chorus
Il nome suo nessun saprà
E noi dovrem, ahimè, morir.
No one will know his name
And we must, alas, die.
The Prince
Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars!
At daybreak, I shall conquer!

No comments: